Monday, June 6, 2016

PFC Gino Ferrari

PFC Gino Ferrari, b. 17 Jun 1924 - d. 6 Jun 1944. Son of Robert I and Julia (Tomei) Ferrari. Thanks to the research of Tom Gunerman we know the following: "2nd Platoon, Company K, 3rd Battalion, Assault Force "O", 116th Regimental Combat Team, 29th Infantry Division, V Corps, 1st Army. Landed, Boat Team #5, Second wave, Dog White, H+50, Omaha Beach, Normandy, France, June 6th, 1944." Tom has created a detailed memorial for PFC Ferrari at FindAGrave.

A soldier of the 116th Infantry Division recalled: "I got out in water up to the top of my boots. People were yelling, screaming, dying, running on the beach, equipment was flying everywhere, men were bleeding to death, crawling, lying everywhere, firing coming from all directions. We dropped down behind anything that was the size of a golf ball. Colonel Canham, Lieutenant Cooper, and Sergeant Crawford were screaming at us to get off the beach. I turned to say to Gino Ferrari, 'Let's move up, Gino,' but before I could finish the sentence, something spattered all over the side of my face. He'd been hit in the face and his brains splattered all over my face and my stuff. I moved forward and the tide came on so fast it covered him and I no longer could see him."

No comments:

Post a Comment